Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Outdoor Theaters

.

This is the outdoor theater in Castiglione del Lago in Umbria.  It's inside the castle fortress which dates back to 1247!  I've been to three outdoor theaters here in Italy.  My first time was in Perugia in the Giardini del Frontone, Frontone Gardens.  I think that's the first time I saw fireflies in Italy.  We used to have them back in Kentucky.  It was so enchanting to watch them spark about -- but I digress.  The other outdoor theater I've frequented is in Cortona in the park just outside Piazza Garibaldi.   Of course these theaters are only open in the summertime when the weather permits.   Many theaters in Italy offer viewing of films in their original language especially during the summer months to accommodate travelers.  It's easy to find a program, usually in town at the information office.  All the outdoor theaters have a little kiosk selling sodas and popcorn as well as wine and panini.  How fun is that!?  Regardless of the length of the film, it is always stopped halfway and there is an intermission.  Time to refill your wine glasses, signore e signori, ladies and gentlemen!    

No comments: